Sunday, January 10, 2010

"D'oh! I'm famous. Woo-hoo!"


After a seven-day hiatus from both print and radio, I was expecting one of those self-serving Mitch articles I have grown to know and love. Or hate. And you know what I got this morning? A self-serving Mitch article. The world is still turning, kids.

Today, Mitch opined about his recent role on The Simpsons, which aired last Sunday on FOX. The best part is that Mitch claims he didn't know the episode was on until a "friend" called him. Please. This guy can't pass a mirror without winking, yet he "forgets" he is on the Simpsons? You didn't see the previews while watching NFL games last weekend, a sport you're actually paid to cover? Your "friends" had no idea until the actual episode was on? Even Homer isn't that stupid. Luckily, one of Mitch's "friends" had one of these new-fangled digital recording machines that all the kids are talking about, and lo and behold, he was able to see himself in Technicolor Yellow.

I kept thinking, "what might have been" if Mitch hadn't been able to see it on the DVR? It's not like they re-run shows, or make them available via DVD (which I am sure he already has a copy of). Or via Hulu. Or on the FOX Web site. Yes, Mitch, there is a Santa Claus. Those are called "active links." Click on them and you can stream the full episode! Crazy, ain't it? You can watch TV on your computer! Woo-hoo!

I also love it when Mitch plays naive, which he does once again in this article. He claims he doesn't know "Hollywood Speak," despite the fact that his book, "Tuesday's With Morrie," was turned into an award-winning made-for-tv movie. He lives half the week in New York for ESPN and gets to hang out with Oprah, yet little ol' Mitch doesn't know how the big world works. I don't get it...does he think this makes him seem like one of the normal folk? You're a star, Mitchy boy. Don't play it off like you're a hick seeing your first indoor plumbing.

And lastly, one of my favorite things that Mitch does is drop stupid, semi-relevant jokes into articles. Today's gem was this:

"...I don't know how to sue and anyhow, why sue "The Simpsons"? I like the Simpsons, the cartoon group, not, you know, O.J.'s version."

Ahahahah. O.J. Simpson. The Simpsons. I get it! You know what's really funny? I got this joke the first time I heard it in like 1996. The joke is as old as Mitch's hairstyle (why does he let his hair cover his ears?), and is another example of him using "low-hanging jokes." Just a total lack of effort. (I was surprised we didn't have a Jessica Simpson mention though. THAT would have been funny. In 2002.)

Thanks for another waste of five minutes, Mr. Albom. Now let's try to get out of bed tomorrow and write an article that requires a little thought. Something about your book being a bestseller or something, ya know?

No comments:

Post a Comment